Chief Master Sgt. Michael J. Rakauckas is the State Command Chief, New Jersey Air National Guard, Joint Base, McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, New Jersey. He is responsible to the commander for readiness, operational utilization, professional development, health, morale and welfare of more than 2,400 Air National Guard Airmen.
Chief Rakauckas entered the Air Force in March of 1992 and graduated the Air Force Security Police Academy as a law enforcement specialist. His background includes extensive service in security forces at the squadron, group, joint and command levels. Chief Rakauckas deployed to various forward operating bases in support of Operations Southern Watch, Vigilant Warrior, Provide Comfort, Restore Hope and Bright Star. In 1998, Chief Rakauckas transferred to the New Jersey Air National Guard (ANG) to pursue a career in civilian law enforcement. Directly after the 2001 terrorist attacks, he was mobilized as a Security Forces Raven assigned to C-17 and C-130 aircrews leading force protection teams, coordinated ground security and conducted multiple airfield assessments in direct support of Operations Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom, Fundamental Justice, Iraqi Freedom, New Dawn and Coronet Oak.
In 2007, Chief Rakauckas served as Air Base Defense Operations Superintendent and Combat Aviation Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division liaison, Sather Air Base, Bagdad, Iraq. Chief Rakauckas has competed in several worldwide Security Forces Defender Challenge competitions as a team leader and coach where he was instrumental in winning several team medals for fitness, tactics and marksmanship. Chief Rakauckas currently serves as a course facilitator for the ANG Command Chief Training Course. Prior to his current assignment, Chief Rakauckas served as the 108th Wing Command Chief.
In his civilian career, Chief Rakauckas served over 20 years with the Mount Laurel Police Department, Burlington County, New Jersey. In September 2019, he honorably retired as a Lieutenant assigned as the Operations Division Commander where he was responsible for managing and leading patrol, traffic and special operations.
1992 Ground Combat Skills School, U.S. Army Training Center, 5th Training Brigade, Fort Dix, N.J.
1997 Airman Leadership School, McGuire AFB, N.J.
1998 Phoenix Raven School, Raven 293, Air Mobility Warfare Center, Fort Dix, N.J.
2001 NCO Academy, McGhee Tyson ANG Base, Tenn.
2005 Senior NCO Academy, Maxwell-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2007 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, National Defense University, Norfolk, Va.
2012 Associate in Applied Science, Criminal Justice, Community College of the Air Force
2012 Associate in Applied Science, Administrative Management, Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, N.J.
2013 Professional Manager Certification, Community College of the Air Force
2013 Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Administration of Justice, Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, N.J. 2015 ANG Instructor Certification Program, PME Instructor Facilitator Course, McGhee Tyson ANG Base, Tenn.
2015 Defense Support of Civil Authorities Phase 1 Certification, United States Joint Forces Command
2015 Master of Science in Management, Organizational Leadership, Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, N.J.
2016 Air National Guard Chief Executive Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2016 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2016 Contemporary Base Issues Course, JB MDL, N.J
2017 Chief Leadership Course, Maxwell-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2018 Air National Guard Command Chief Master Sergeant Orientation Course, Joint Base San Antonio, Texas
2019 Air Force Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md. 2020 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2020 Strategic Mindset Seminar, Stimson Associates, Arlington Va.
- July 1992–January 1996, Law Enforcement Specialist, 722nd Security Police Squadron, March AFB, Calif.
- February 1996–February 1998, Patrolman and Trainer, 305th Security Forces Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
- March 1998–September 2001, Security Forces Raven, 108th Security Forces Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
- September 2001–December 2001, Raven Team Leader, C-17 Afghanistan Stage, Sigonella NAS, Sicily
- December 2001–June 2002, Raven Team Leader, C-17 Afghanistan Stage, Rhein-Main AB, Germany
- June 2002–November 2002, Staff Action Officer, Contingency Cell, AMC Headquarters, Scott AFB, Ill.
- November 2002–June 2007, Training Manager, 108th Security Forces Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
- August 2005 – September 2005, Squad Leader, St. Johns Sheriff’s Office, Hurricane Katrina JTF, New Orleans, La.
- July 2007–March 2008, Operations Superintendent and CAB 3rd ID Liaison, Sather AB, 447th ESFS, Baghdad, Iraq
- March 2008–August 2015, Operations Superintendent, 108th Security Forces Squadron, JB MDL, N.J.
- May 2010–January 2011, Functional Area Manager, NGB/A7S, ANG Security Forces, JB Andrews, Md.
- July 2012–March 2013, Raven Stage Manager, 12th AF, AEF 35 EAS, Muñiz ANGB, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- March 2012 – March 2014, ANG Senior Enlisted Leader, FEMA Region II Joint HRF, JFHQ, JB MDL, N.J
- August 2015–February 2018, Group Superintendent, 108th Mission Support Group, JB MDL, N.J.
- February 2018–October 2019, Command Chief, 108th Wing, JB MDL, N.J.
- October 2019-Present, State Command Chief, New Jersey Air National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, JB MDL, N.J
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four bronze oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal Air
Force Commendation Medal with three bronze oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with four bronze oak leaf clusters
1997 Airman of the Year, 305th Mission Support Group, McGuire AFB, N.J.
1997 Distinguished Graduate, Airman Leadership School, Class 97-B
1999 NCO of the Year, State of New Jersey Air National Guard and New Jersey Enlisted Association
2000 Distinguished Graduate, Security Forces Craftsman Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
2005 SNCO of the Year, Air National Guard Security Forces Career field, NGB/ANG HQ/A7S 2005 Distinguished Graduate and CMSAF James McCoy Academic Achievement Award, SNCO Academy, Class 05-D
2008 Awarded 3rd Infantry Division Combat Sleeve Insignia
2009 Police Officer of the Year, Mount Laurel Police Department
2010 Awarded the German Armed Forces Troop Duty Proficiency Badge (Gold), German HQ, Reston, Va.
2011 Knights of Columbus Community Service Officer of the Year Award, Council 7755, Trenton, N.J.
2012 Arnold Fletcher Award, Bachelor Degree Graduate with Honors, Thomas Edison State University
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic March 3, 1992
Airman Sep. 3, 1992
Airman First Class July 3, 1993
Senior Airman March 3, 1995
Staff Sergeant Jun. 28, 1998
Technical Sergeant Feb.12, 2001
Master Sergeant July 24, 2003
Senior Master Sergeant May 3, 2007
Chief Master Sergeant Oct. 26, 2015
(Current as of January 2021)